For some people, mental health issues can see their lives ‘spiral’ but what if you could introduce specialist support when things first start to go wrong and help support recovery before homelessness, a job loss or a family break-up occurs?
Essex County Council’s Mental Health Social Care and Assessment team offers early intervention, prevention and recovery to tackle issues before they become overwhelming.
The team, which includes social workers specialising in mental health, will accept referrals from those with a mental health condition (and their carers) between the ages of 18 and 65.
It aims to help people use their own skills and resources to achieve their goals, addressing a range of issues relating to their mental health including employment and housing.
This includes signposting to resources within the wider community and working closely with statutory services, voluntary, and charitable organisations to promote residents’ wellbeing.
The team aims to:
- help people make the most of their strengths, relationships and community resources around them
- provide targeted information, advice and guidance to individuals and their carers
- enable individuals to remain within their communities and networks and form positive relationships
- ensure people are able to regain their life skills and independence
- deliver employment opportunities for people of working age
- support with housing needs
- work collaboratively with the third sector and statutory services
- reduce the use of secondary care and hospital admissions
- enable people to continue and maintain their recovery in a primary care setting wherever possible
- provide social care support for individuals leaving secondary care mental health services who continue to have an identified ongoing social care need
- enhance community connections
- stabilise chaotic lives
- provide the investigating officer function for mental health safeguarding enquiries where the individual is not known to the mental health trusts
- improve the quality of life and well-being of individuals referred to the team
To make a referral:
Call: 03330 322958 (9am-5pm Monday – Thursday, 9am-4.30pm – Friday).
The team will accept referrals for people aged 18 and above within the boundaries of Essex County Council, where a social care assessment is required in response to their mental health condition.
Who can make a referral?
- Professionals who work or volunteer with adults
- Carers can refer themselves or for those they care for
- Individuals can also refer themselves directly
Please note, that for all referrals, the mental health condition must be the primary need.
Otherwise, please refer to Social Care Connect on 0345 6037630