Due to the present times surrounding Coronavirus, ESAB are running all courses virtually.
This course will examine the perceived tension in adult safeguarding between the protective element – and people’s rights to control their own lives and choices.
By the end of the training participants will have covered:
- Care Act duties to protect from abuse and neglect
- Care Act duties to promote autonomy, choice, control
- Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights: the right to respect for private life and when it can legitimately be interfered with by the State (of which local authorities are one manifestation)
- Unwise decision-making by people with mental capacity, involving risk
- Best interests decisions, involving people lacking mental capacity, containing risk
- Concept of the vulnerable adult, with capacity, but subject to undue influence, exploitation etc – and the relevance to safeguarding of other law (including the inherent jurisdiction, the law of equity, financial criminal offences, sexual offences)
Cost: £45 (virtual)
Duration: 3 hours