Risk Taking, Unwise Decisions & Safeguarding Training
This course will examine the perceived tension in adult safeguarding between the protective element – and people’s rights to control their own lives and choices.
By the end of the training participants will have covered:
- Care Act duties to protect from abuse and neglect
- Care Act duties to promote autonomy, choice, control
- Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights: the right to respect for private life and when it can legitimately be interfered with by the State (of which local authorities are one manifestation)
- Unwise decision-making by people with mental capacity, involving risk
- Best interests decisions, involving people lacking mental capacity, containing risk
- Concept of the vulnerable adult, with capacity, but subject to undue influence, exploitation etc – and the relevance to safeguarding of other law (including the inherent jurisdiction, the law of equity, financial criminal offences, sexual offences)
Cancellation or non-attendance charges
- Delegates may cancel or rebook onto an alternative course, if at least 5 working days’ notice is provided in writing (via email) to ESAB.
- If a delegate is unable to attend, another member of staff from the same team/service can be substituted without any additional cost (confirmation required in writing, via email to ESAB).
- Charges for late notice cancellation (less than 5 working days) or non-attendance on the day for ANY course (i.e., chargeable, and free of charge courses) are set at the full cost of the training course; £40 per full day course and £15 per half day course per delegate, or for specialist courses, the cost is clearly shown on the website and application forms.
- Managers will be made aware of a cancellation, non-attendance, or substitution of named staff member for all bookings.
- ESAB will reserve the right to charge in circumstances where it is felt appropriate for the services of ESAB staff. All fees are at the discretion of ESAB.