Financial Abuse

If you're a victim of domestic abuse, or know someone who is, and there's an emergency that's ongoing or life is in danger, call 999 now.

If you have a hearing or speech impairment, use the Essex Police textphone service 18000 or text 999 if you’ve pre-registered with the emergencySMS service.

Other ways to report:

  • online
  • by calling 101 (If you have a hearing or speech impairment, use our textphone service on 18001 101)
  • in the safety of your local police station (if you require a translator, Police can provide someone initially by phone and later in person) 

Adult Social Care

If you are being abused in relation to your care and support needs, contact Adult Social Care.

Telephone: 0345 603 7630
Textphone: 0345 758 5592

Monday to Thursday, 8:45am to 5pm
Friday, 8:45am to 4:30pm

Out of hours telephone: 0345 606 1212


If you’re not ready to talk about this with the above statutory organisations there are various charities that could help.

Everyone has the right to make independent financial decisions. If your partner, family member, carer or anybody else is controlling your financial affairs, then this is financial abuse. Always remember you are not alone. There are places to go for help and support and things you can do.

National agency Money Helper has detailed out many support networks available, and practical steps you can take if you suspect financial abuse.